Friday, December 04, 2009

The Eating Dilemma!

Say you make 3 or 4 paratha (ಪರಾಠ), chapaati (ಚಪಾತಿ), or dose (ದೋಸೆ) for yourself. As each of them comes off the skillet, you put it on the plate or in a box (to keep them all warm). When you are done making them all, how do you go about eating that stack? Top one (the latest and hence the warmest) first so that you can enjoy at least ONE hot paratha/chapati/dose? Or, are you an Equal Opportunity eater who flips the stack and eats the first one first and in the process eating them all at the same at a "not really hot" temperature?

One of my eternal dilemmas. I face it every time I make such dishes. Like today when I made parathas for the first time in my life.

You know, this dilemma actually applies to a lot of everyday events, including those in your professional life. It says a lot about who you are, how you approach life, how you make decisions in life. Sounds trivial and silly, eh? Well, sit back and think about it. And you will see what I mean.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahaha. u should sit on the skillet and eat
:-)
ms

Sree said...

what do u do till the 2nd one gets cooked?? eat the first one in the cooking time - dats my policy:D n if u r cooking for others too, once u r done wt them, ask one of them to return the favour:D :D

L'Étranger said...

@ms:

LOL!

Did you mean to say:

arey sansaar sansaar
jasa tava chulhyaavar
aadhi ******** chatake
tevhaa milte bhaakar


No, thanks! I like to limit the burns to my hands. Moreover, I was talking about the parathas getting cold, not me! :-)

L'Étranger said...

@Sree:

Well, when I am making dose, I've got nothing to do but wait while dose is cooking -- so I do, like you said, eat as I make. However, when making chapati, that doesn't work for me because I am rolling the next one while the previous one is on the skillet. Same with parathas.

So here is what I do when I make chapatis. After all of them are done, I break them into halves (quite common in North Karnataka homes). and shuffle them up in the plate. So, when I eat, they come at random. No discrimination whatsoever.

You know, "Life is like a box of chocolates; You never know what you are gonna get next." :-)