Saturday, September 26, 2009

Cricket, at last!

All these days, I successfully resisted buying Champions Trophy package on Willow TV. You see, for millions of die hard cricket fans like me who have chosen to live in a non-cricketing country like USA, watching cricket is a luxury. Not just because the viewing opportunities are very limited, we have to actually pay extra money to watch cricket. And if you don't have satellite TV like Direct TV or Dish, your choices are even more limited to a few online video streams, some of which are free and of questionable quality.

Over the years, I have been using Willow TV. The quality is pretty decent, and though it used to be quite expensive, it is getting a little justifiable these days.

But, as I said, I resisted buying Champions Trophy (I didn't watch the Compaq Cup in Sri Lanka either). Not because of the money but because of the lack of excitement about this particular tournament. And because I am too busy these days to afford 6 hours a day for cricket. Until this morning, that is. How can I resist it when India is playing Pakistan, especially when Pakistan bats first and puts up a score of 300 setting up a nice stage for India's challenge! And when I saw Gambhir and Tendulkar going at it, I couldn't keep quiet.

There is a downside to watching cricket on Willow, though. It doesn't work on Mac. So, wearily, I fired up my very rarely used Windoze laptop, and while it was booting, launched Willow site on Mac to pay $45. And a pleasant surprise was waiting for me! Just of curiosity, after making the payment, I clicked on "Watch", and voila! It starting playing! On Safari, no less! Look!





Thank you, Willow TV!

Sadly, in the middle of all this, Tendlya departed. Never mind. Just give me two victories: one against Pakistan and another against Australia. I won't ask for anything else.

And if India can go on to win the trophy, it is a bonus prize. And if that doesn't happen, if fate conspires to at least keep the trophy out of reach for Australia and Pakistan, it is a consolation prize. Come to think of it, I am not sure which prize I love more! ;)

No comments: