Thursday, September 11, 2008

An unforgettable day to forget

I guess this day will never cease to come back. Year after year, it arrives and brings back horrific memories that can never fade away.

I can never forget watching the 2nd plane hit the World Trade Center LIVE while still trying to come to terms with the shock of hearing about the first plane. That morning, as I drove to work, totally oblivious of what was about to happen, I had chosen to listen to Mysoora Mallige instead of my usual NPR in the car. A minute or two before I parked, the first plane hit the towers. As I was entering the office, a couple of my friends met me at the door with horrified looks on their faces. They couldn't believe that I had a nice smile on my face (ignorance is bliss?). I was greeted with the stunning news. The three of us rushed to the conference room where the entire staff had gathered to watch TV. As we were all recovering from the shock, we saw the second plane hit the other tower in real time. It took us a few seconds to realize it was not a replay. We all froze.

And more news followed. We sunk deeper and deeper into mourning. Nobody knew what to do. We were just standing here and there, going back in and out of the conference room. Nobody spoke a word for a long time.

The days that followed were equally painful as more and more details, pictures and other stories arrived.

I also realized that a few people I had communicated with while on my previous project had perished in the attack. My previous client had an office in the World Trade Center.

Why did so many people have to die that way? It just doesn't make sense.

It hurts so much to remember 9/11. I want to forget it. Think that it never happened.

But I can't. I just can't.

2 comments:

ರೂpaश्री said...

ಆ ಕರಾಳ ದಿನವನ್ನು ಮರೆಯೋದು ಸಾಧ್ಯವಿಲ್ಲ, ಬೇಡ ಬೇಡವೆಂದರೂ ನೆನಪಿಗೆ ಬರುತ್ತೆ. ಆ ಉಗ್ರಗಾಮಿಗಳು ಸಾಧಿಸಿದ್ದಾದರು ಏನನ್ನು?? ಹೀಗೆ ನಿನ್ನೆ ಇದರ ಬಗ್ಗೆ ಮಾತಾಡುತ್ತಿರುವಾಗಲೇ ಬೆಂಗಳೂರಿನಿಂದ ಸ್ನೇಹಿತರು ಫೋನ್ ಬಂದು ತಮಗೆ ಗಂಡುಮಗು ಹುಟ್ಟಿದನ್ನು ತಿಳಿಸಿದರು. ಅವರಿಗೆ ಶುಭ ಹಾರೈಸಿದೆವು, ಇದುವೇ ಜೀವನ ಅನ್ನಿಸಿತು.

L'Étranger said...

ತನ್ನ ನಿರಂತರತೆಯಲ್ಲಿ ಬದುಕು ನಿಷ್ಕರುಣಿ... ಮತ್ತದರ ಜೊತೆ-ಜೊತೆಗೇ ಹೊಸ ಜೀವ ತುಂಬುತ್ತಾ ಖುಶಿಯಿಂದ ಮುನ್ನಡೆಸುತ್ತಿರುತ್ತದೆ. ಸುಖ-ದುಃಖಗಳೆರಡೂ ಇಲ್ಲೇ!

ಸಾವು ಹುಟ್ಟಿನ ಒಳಗೋ, ಹುಟ್ಟು ಸಾವಿನ ಒಳಗೋ
ಸಾವು-ಹುಟ್ಟುಗಳೆರಡೂ ನಿನ್ನೊಳಗೋ
ಕೃಷ್ಣ....